Monday, September 06, 2010

Though the Mountains May Fall


Psalm 46:2 says "Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall..."

The mountains were literally falling as I made my way to the isthmus region of Oaxaca last week.

The state of Oaxaca has had record breaking rains which has resulted in rivers overflowing, a nearby dam filled to capacity and needing to discharge water which just added to the flooding of the rivers, and many, many mudslides and rockslides.

I had to wade through ankle deep water to get to the house where I was staying and the water has created a bumper crop of mosquitos.

This did not deter the 50 children who sloshed their way through the flooded streets to the Covenant Church in Ixtepec where I was helping lead a children's program. Ironically, one of our stories for the week was Noah's Ark. For a while I feared that we were going to have to undertake the task of building our own ark.

1 comment:

Judi said...

You're a better woman than I. I can't imagine driving on that road! The "fear factor" reminds me of my childhood in the Sudan and Ethiopia, but I was too young to know any better at the time. We'll be praying for your continued protection.