Friday, July 24, 2009

Hellos and Goodbyes

One subject not covered in very much detail at any missionary orientation session and one of the things that I have found to be one of the more difficult moments of missionary life, is all of the "hellos" and "goodbyes" that are necessary. Last Saturday evening we had a "despedida" or goodbye party for some good friends (pictured above). After six years in Oaxaca I have gotten to know them very well and now they are headed for the U.S.
We sang, we prayed and we read Scripture as we said goodbye to these dear friends. Because of home assignments, retirements, family commitments, etc. people are always coming and going.
And what missionary get together wouldn't be complete without food! We enjoyed a potluck dinner followed by "make your own" ice cream sundaes.

This summer alone, I will be saying goodbye (at least for a while) to this family, Laura Rodriguez, the short term missionary that has served in Oaxaca for the past two years and Cindy Hoover, who is going to be in the U.S. for the next year because of family commitments.

It's not always people coming or leaving Oaxaca. I have done my share of saying goodbye to family and friends in the U.S. and then being joyfully reunited with them upon my returns.

The good news about the goodbyes and the hellos is that God is watching over all of our comings and goings even before we know that they will happen.

The good news about this goodbye party? My friends will be returning--this time as Covenant Project Missionaries and I will get to say "hello" another time.

No comments: