January 6 which is Epiphany or Three Kings Day in Mexico is an important part of the Christmasseason. In fact Christmas isn't officially over until January 6 in Mexico. A Mexican tradition on January 6 is to share a Rosca del Reyes or Rosca of the Kings. A rosca is a coffee cake type bread shaped into a ring. Inside the ring there are one or two plastic baby Jesus dolls baked into the cake. Everyone takes a turn cutting into the rosca and the person who finds the plastic doll is supposed to supply the tamales, atole and hot chocolate on February 2. There is great excitement and suspense as everyone watches the person cutting into the rosca to see what they will find.
Bruce found the plastic Baby Jesus and will have to serve tamales in February.Many Mexican children don't receive their Christmas gifts until this day. On January 5 balloon vendors sell helium balloons and Mexican children write their wishes on a piece of paper attached to the balloon and then let them up into the sky. That night the children put out their shoes and in the morning (if they have been good during the year) the Three Kings put small presents in their shoes.


3 comments:
I'll be checking this site regularly! :-)
This is great Jo Ellen. It's interesting, I just read an article that something very similar is done in New Orleans. I can't remember what they called it but baked with the baby Jesus in a ring to represent the round about route the Wise Men took. Give my greetings to my friends. Love, Helen
Hi Jo Ellen. I'm finally able to get to Blogspot again. The temporary housing we've been in has the whole site blocked. Love your new blog! And your pictures are great. I just started up Fluffy again at http://fluffysays.blogspot.com/
We're all moved into the new home now. Of course it's still quite a mess, and we can't find things, but moving is like that. Sooner or later we'll get it all put away. Mom's coughing less now, fortunately, but both her ears are plugged so she can't hear you speak to her unless you speak loudly and up close. And she has very poor vision so life's a struggle all the way around. Dad seems to have some of his strength back. He walked around the neighborhood today and went about a quarter mile. That's quite a feat for him. And he hung up laundry for me.
Our weather is lovely. Days can be warm, but when the sun goes down you need to put your coat on. We sat out a couple nights ago and watched the sun set, blankets wrapped around both Mom and I. That was fun. Arizona is known for its sunsets. People come here just to photograph that.
I really miss the tamales on Sundays from the ladies over there by Chedraui.
And I miss YOU!
Oops, sorry. I'm not writing an e-mail! Hope you have a great weekend.
Love, Carol
Post a Comment