Thursday, January 13, 2011

Santa Maria Mixistlan


I celebrated New Year's Eve and Day far up in the mountains of Oaxaca--in the town of Santa Maria Mixistlan. I accompanied a North Park University mission trip to this tiny Mixe town of about 900 people that is over 7,000 feet above sea level. Although this photo was posed on a warmer day, little did I know that by the end of the week, I would be dressing and looking exactly like this. I had on several layers of clothes, including long underwear and was still cold. We were told that two weeks before our arrival, the town had seen snow!
This is the view from my bedroom window. Almost every house in the town is literally perched on the side of the mountain.
The view from the Covenant church in Santa Maria Mixistlan.
This photo is blurry from smoke but it gives an idea of how some of our meals were prepared.
The North Park University mission group and some of the children of Santa Maria Mixistlan. The younger children did not speak Spanish. They only spoke Mixe, the indigenous language of the town.

Covenant missionaries in Oaxaca with Santa Maria Mixistlan pastor and church leaders.
We had five hour long church services. At one of the services I gave the sermon.
One of our fabulous cooks and her baby.
A church member's house.
The Santa Maria Mixistlan Evangelical Covenant Church.

No comments: