
Casa de Oracion (House of Prayer) in La Canada, Oaxaca
Last week I went about 90 minutes up into the mountains near the city of Oaxaca. It was a familiar route and took us through the town of Zaachila, where, of course, we had to stop for home made ice cream at our favorite ice cream place-Chabelita's. We had our choice of burnt milk ice cream, prickly pear cactus ice cream, walnut ice cream and lemon ice cream. I chose my favorite---prickly pear cactus ice cream.
After leaving Zaachila we began our ascent up the mountain on a dirt road leaving behind us a huge cloud of dust. As we entered the tiny town of La Canada, the town kids began swarming around the car.
Supper was being cooked over an open fire as we got out of the car and greeted everyone. Then we accompanied the pastor to visit several houses where we invited people to the church service that evening. We read some Scripture and prayed and at one house one young woman decided to invite Jesus Christ into her life.
After a delicious supper, we entered the church that is pictured above. The church is a very small adobe building. The Covenant logo is prominently displayed above the church door. After singing and reading from the Bible, I preached a sermon on the Lord's Prayer.
It was almost dark when we got back into the car to drive back to the city of Oaxaca. That is when we noticed that the car was "listing" to one side---a flat tire! There is no level place anywhere in this tiny town so it was a challenge to get the car jack to work correctly. After the car jack slipped once (luckily not injuring anyone), the town people decided that it was better to physically lift the car into the air. So we all got on one side and held the car in place while the tire was changed.
We made it down the mountain just as the last light of the day was fading away.

1 comment:
Nice to "meet" you on your blog. I was trying to place you after getting your email. If I ever start a "blog list" of Oaxaca ladies, may I add yours to it? Nice reading. Where is your interesting visitor now?
Post a Comment