I learned a new Zapotec phrase this past weekend--cayaca nanda. This means "It is hot!" And it was hot. While most of you are either enjoying early spring weather or at least most of the snow has melted where you are, I was working in 95 degree plus heat in the isthmus region of Oaxaca.All of the Covenant churches in the isthmus gathered together to have a regional event for adults, youth and children. All together about 200 people showed up. Adults had several workshops in marriage enrichment led by Lisandro and Patty Restrepo, Covenant missionaries from Monterrey. A Oaxacan woman from the city of Oaxaca led the youth in their meetings and I worked with the children along with Bruce Dockter, missionary in Oaxaca, and a Oaxacan couple.
At the end of the first day we gathered together (in the above photo) for a "culto unido"- a united church service. The heat was forgotten for a while as we stood singing praises to God for over an hour, greeted friends, and heard a message from the Word of God.
The weather cooled slightly by the time the service began and we sat outside under a tarp on wooden chairs. A sound system was set up and huge lights lit the area. We sang a song titled "Unidos" or "Together" and that is what we were--united in the love of God.

1 comment:
Great post Jo Ellen - makes me wish I was there - even if it was hot :). Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment