Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Living Snapshot

A pastors' meeting

Sometimes one photo can tell a whole story. However, usually, one photo only tells a part of the story. While sitting at a pastors' meeting recently I decided to write down my observations to give you an idea of what typically happens at a pastors' meeting--not just the one photo (as the one above) that shows the pastors sharing a meal together.

In no particular order, this is what I saw, tasted, heard, smelled, etc.

donkeys braying and roosters crowing

the smell of coffee being boiled over a wood fire

words in Spanish, Mixe, Chinanteco, and various Zapotec dialects

women snapping green beans for lunch at the door to the church so they could hear what was going on

pastors arriving in the back of pick up trucks after driving for several hours

an 89 year old lady asking that missionaries drive her to the mountain churches because she wanted to go and encourage church members

stringing up a large tarp so there would be protection from the sun

women making tortillas by hand and cooking them over an open fire

pastors who haven't seen each other in two months warmly greeting each other

sounds of a guitar strumming while preparing for the worship time

women washing dishes with no sink and using only small plastic containers of water.

the Bible being read in unison by pastors, some of whom had only a third grade education

2 comments:

Laura said...

This is great Jo Ellen - I really enjoyed reading about the sights/sounds/smells. I think lists like that especially help a person imagine themselves in that place with you. Thanks! :)

Judi said...

I was thinking about you this afternoon when we were getting Christmas decorations from the attic, and I saw your boxes in the corner. We hope you had a great Thanksgiving and that the advent season will be a blessed time for you and the congregation in Oaxaca.