Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I am thankful for...

One of the things that I am thankful for is my English Class.  Last week and this week we were studying Thanksgiving words.   Since Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Mexico, these were brand new words for most of my students.  We made turkeys with things we were thankful for written on the feathers.  It was a pleasant and affirming surprise to see that several of my students were thankful for me...their teacher.

Of course a discussion about Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without a discussion of the foods of Thanksgiving.  Two girls in my class had lived in the U.S. when they were younger.  They knew all about Thanksgiving food--especially pumpkin pie. So what else was there to do but make a pumpkin pie and bring it to class to share.  After taking her first bite of the pie, one of the girls said "Yummm...I've gone three years without tasting pumpkin pie."  She was thankful for the pie!

Last week I had a guest visiting me in Oaxaca and she accompanied me to my English class.  She took the photo below.  It is of my class talking about a picture that they had received.  Each student had to tell me (in English of course) several things about the photo.  Some of the class is getting comfortable enough with English that they can joke about their photos.  We are smiling because the one man has a photo of a hamburger and he said that he wanted a hamburger right now.





No comments: