Saturday, February 19, 2011

Song of Solomon - Flowers appear on the earth

After 5 years of living in my house and 5 years of watering and caring for my bird of paradise plant, it finally bloomed! I never knew why this plant was called a bird of paradise until I actually saw them blooming in Mexico. The specimens that I saw in floral shops in the U.S. are a poor substitute for plants grown in Mexico. I am always amazed at how much like a bird they really do look like.

So why did my bird of paradise plant finally bloom after 5 years? Who knows. It could be that it was going to bloom anyway this year or it could be that in desperation, I piled used coffee grounds onto the soil. In either case, I am enjoying three beautiful blooms on the plant in my backyard.

"Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come; the cooing of doves is heard in our land". Song of Solomon 2:12

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks JoEllen...this was very encouraging...

Judi said...

Beautiful. And so much more exciting than getting an African violet to bloom again!