
Even though I have been in Mexico for 10 years and the beach is only 180 miles from where I live, I have only been to the beach a few times. That is because the 180 miles to the beach takes about 10 hours due to curvy mountain roads. A week ago I was able to take a short vacation at the beach--Puerto Escondido (Hidden Port)--with Laura Rodriguez who will be leaving Oaxaca this weekend after serving for two years as a short term missionary. Here are some photos of our trip.

Puerto Escondido is known for surfing and high waves--not for swimming as indicated by this red warning flag. There is a terrific undertow. I experienced the undertow just sitting in the water at the shoreline. When a wave hit, it literally turned me around.

We stayed at the Zicatela beach which is the beach where all the surfers go. While we were there, there was an international surfing competition.

What would a vacation be without a stop for cappachino? This small coffee stand had fresh baked cinnamon rolls and coffee from the mountains just north of Puerto Escondido.

This soon became our favorite spot. We would order a pitcher of orangeade and sit on the lounge chairs provided by the restuarant.

This quickly became my favorite resting place during the hot afternoons. We hung the hammock on hooks provided on the balcony of our hotel.

And what would a beach be without a beautiful sunset? This photo was taken the evening before we left Puerto Escondido to return to the city of Oaxaca and our various ministry responsibilities.
1 comment:
Yeah! I'm so glad you had those days on the beach. That's a great shot of you in the hammock.
Post a Comment